Teaching Students the Value of Wise, Educated Investments
ISP is a series of lessons that prepare students for an online stock simulation. Videos and teacher-led programming help students research stocks, build a portfolio, learn about investment terms, ethics and more. Students participate in a competition against their peers across Canada.
VERSIONS: ISP Virtual (Teacher Led) / ISP Connect (Volunteer Led)
- Understand the pros and cons of different investments, such as RRSPs, exchange-traded funds and GICs
- Follow a Canadian stock for the duration of the program
- Create a mutual fund
- Learn how to buy low and sell high
- Act as a financial advisor to apply what they learn
- Build a portfolio for the online stock market simulation
- Learn about socially and ethically responsible investment
- Learn how to identify investment scams
- Test their knowledge by competing against other teams from across Canada
4 – 1 hour lessons
+ online competition
Calgary & Airdrie
Grade 8 – 12
Grades 8 – 11
At the end of the ISP, students will know how to research and select investments and manage an online stock portfolio. This prepares them to make savvy investment choices throughout their lives.
ISP builds upon previous JA financial literacy programs. Watch the Investment Strategies introduction video.
ABOUT INVEST JA
Invest JA, the nationwide stock market competition, allows students to apply the investing principles learned in the Investment Strategies Program. Students build and manage a stock portfolio in a safe, simulated environment.
The simulation is linked to live data from North American stock markets and students trade during regular market hours (9:30 am – 4:00 pm Eastern). It is not required that teachers allow class time for students to trade.
ISP VIRTUAL (Teacher Led)
ISP: CONNECT (Volunteer Led)
How is ISP: Connect different than Virtual? ISP:Connect brings a knowledgeable volunteer into the classroom in place of the instructional videos. The teacher and volunteer arrange 4 1-hour visits. Volunteers work with students to help them develop a portfolio and complete an online stock market simulation.